Wednesday, October 31, 2012

{diy} card using fall photos

{diy} autumn card
Happy Halloween to you!  I'm sitting here at my computer, listening to the wind and the rain and enjoying this beautifully romantic day.
 
As promised, here is my tutorail for the Autumn Cards I shared yesterday.....

{autumn card} supplies
The supplies you will need:
 
  • Baseball cards size page protector
  • Large photo the size of your card (I used 5 x 7 1/2)
  • Small photo the size of your page protector pocket (I used the same photo in 2 1/2 x 3 1/2)
  • Scrap paper large enough to fit in three of your page protector pockets
  • Piece of paper large enough to cover the back of your card (I used 5 x 7 1/2)
  • Piece of chipboard the size of your card  (I used 5 x 7 1/2)
  • A small embellishment (I used puffy heart stickers)
  • Typewriter or pen to write your note
  • Sewing machine (or needle for hand sewing)
  • Thread
  • Scissors
  • Paper adhesive

{autumn card} steps
(If you click on the photo above you can see it larger in Flickr.)
 
  • Step 1.  Trim your page protector down to one column of three pockets (there are 9 pockets total in a baseball card size page protector sheet).  I ended up trimming a few columns too skinny (since I made multiple cards) so the open end of each pocket was only secure on two instead of three sides. Not to worry. Once your card is complete this won't be a problem.
  • Step 2.  Layer your trimmed page protector piece over the large photo.  You will want to place it where you think it looks best since it will end up covering that part of your photo.  Make sure at least one full 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 pocket will not be cut (the middle one), and another is large enough for you to write your note.  The third will be cut the smallest and hold your embellishment.
  • Step 3.  Sew your page protector to your photo keeping the open end for each pocket facing up.  Make sure to only sew on the edge of each pocket opposite the open end.  I think the page protector lays nicely when you start by sewing the pockets on right and left first, and the one in the middle last.
  • Step 4.  Your photo will now look like this.  Cut the excess page protector off.
  • Step 5.  Using your scrap paper, cut pieces to fit inside each of the page protector pockets.
  • Step 6.  Trim your small photo just enough so the scrap paper piece sized at 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 shows around it's edge.  Attach your photo to this piece.  Add your note/message to the scrap paper piece that is the next size down (I used my typewriter).  Layer your embellishment over the smallest scrap paper piece.  Place all three pieces of finished scrap paper inside their matching pockets.
  • Step 7.  Sew the open end of each filled pocket shut.
  • Step 8.  Layer your chipboard in between the large photo and large piece of scrapbook paper.  This card is just one thick piece, kind of like a postcard.  All done.
 
Notes >>> This would also make a cute cover to the front of a minibook.  I ended up making an extra card just for myself and think I may use it as the cover of a book to keep track of my Autumn Wishlist.  You could also alter this card so it is just the front of an actual folding card.....if you'd like to write a longer note, or be more traditional.  Sending you lots of holiday cheer!  Have fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment